Service: Planning Consultancy
Client: Derek Lewis Ltd
Size: Man-made lake, Lakeside Lodges, Cafe, Trim Trail, Reception & Changing Building
Continuum were appointed by Derek Lewis Ltd. to provide consultancy advice and manage the existing planning application pursuant to the development of a rural leisure centre in Doncaster (planning ref: 20/00619/FULM). The proposed scheme consists of a man-made lake, surrounded by holiday lodges, caravan pitches, on-site café, trim trail, tennis courts, and changing facilities/reception with associated infrastructure and landscaping.
The lake sits as the focal point of the development of a site measuring circa 17 acres. The lodges front the lake and offer direct access to the water, that will play host to all year open water swimming in addition to pursuits such as kayaking and sailing. The perimeter of the site incorporates a 2 km trim trail with a number of differing fitness stations. An on-site café looking out over the lake is proposed to provide an alternative for those less fond of open water swimming.
It is considered that the facility will provide an invaluable resource for the surrounding community and has already been supported by Kool Kayakers. These users will be served by the new changing and reception building of timber construction designed to fit in with the surrounding rural character of the area whilst incorporating port hole style windows in a “nautical” nod to the newly made lake.
Bio-diversity and sustainability are integral to the proposed scheme which incorporates rewilding and a nature reserve to ensure substantial biodiversity net gain creating new habitats for surrounding wildlife.
Continuum began involvement in the project in 2021 to recover a stalled planning application that had originally been submitted in 2019. Our involvement to date has included:
- Presenting and meeting with the LPA to discuss potential development options
- Liaising with the architect to design a scheme that responded to DMBC’s planning policy and the site’s rural setting;
- Adapting to any archaeological and ecological hurdles due to the site’s composition;
- Redefining the key concepts behind the scheme to champion sustainability, bio-diversity and accessibility within a sporting and leisure facility;
- Compiling and submitting updated plans;
- Liaising with DMBC as to outstanding matters;
- Managing the development team